Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Jimmy

Photobucket

This is Jimmy, Iris' brother inlaw, who apparently will "out live" us all as Iris tells me. As the pugs brought me to Iris, Iris brought me to Jimmy. I love them all. Pugs, Iris, and Jimmy.

A month ago Jimmy gave me a beautiful bell from S. Korea. The story goes. . .

I'd planned on going to brunch with Iris and we met up a little before hand to chit chat. As we do. Jimmy came at 10:40 on the dot and walked us to the dinning room. We all ate and talked. It was a nice meal. On our way back Jimmy parted ways and headed to his place. Iris and I checked the post box and headed back to her place.

As I'm getting back to Iris' Jimmy comes up and hands me this beautiful bell (sorry for no pic). It looked like it was hanging between a gate (imagine a Japanese Tori). It was made out of some metal. . . brass maybe and it had a little hammer to ring the bell. The ring was the clearest I'd ever heard. On the bottom it had an inscription of "korea".

Jimmy told me that he'd been in the service and after WWII he'd gone back to S. Korea to pick up a group (I don't know military lingo. Sorry.) and some captain who'd stayed behind in Korea to help with trainings and other things in S. Korea. The men weren't allowed to go ashore but the Korean people came to them in little boats with trinkets to sell. He said that the bell was the only thing he bought. Jimmy told me that he wasn't sure to give it to in his older age and wondered if I wouldn't mind having it. If it didn't offend me (cute).

I was shocked and honored by this gift. It is in my window sill and when I get home I give it a little ring to remind me of my friends at the Towers and from where I was born.

Thanks Jimmy