Sunday, January 23, 2011

Silver Falls

Today, Aubrey and I went hiking at Silver Falls. We did the North Fall's hike which is a 7.5 mile loop where you see around 5-7 falls through the whole hike and follow the glacier water while you hike. It was beautiful and the falls were all HUGE because of all the rain and the warm weather. The sun was shining yet there was fog in the air. I loved it. Here are some pics.






After the hike Aubs and I went to dinner at Happy BBQ in Salem (I recommend this place for the servers a lone). My mom had read an article about how the place had been robbed a year ago and that they didn't have the money to re start so they leased out the place to a Mexican restaurant while saving money for their own restaurant. Well, we went in and it's not the prettiest restaurant but it was very ASIAN! I loved it. The hostess (if you can call her that) was a middle aged woman, 5 footish with a very sweet voice who said we could sit where we liked. It's not a huge restaurant and it was pretty full when we got there. She told us it would just be a moment. Aubrey and I soon realized she was the only waitress too. We sat and looked over the menu. We waited and watched as the waitress frantically rushed about. I heard her say once, "I'm losing my head". She was very endearing. From the back we heard a very low, stern, and directing voice of the chef. Another middle aged woman who I think could ward off a pack of men, drink a bottle whiskey, and make amazing Bi Bim Bop at the same time. She probably was. What Aubrey remembered and liked was her VERY Korean fill accent of, "Ooooh MY GAAAWWWDDDD!" as she's running from the front to the back with food. At the end of the evening they had forgotten part of my meal but it was fine. They brought it out later and actually they'd made more for us because of the mistake. When the cook came out she said, "You Korean?" and I said yes. "You bring friend?" and I said ". . .yes?" I felt as if she thought we were a lesbian couple, "youuuu bring frrriiiieeeeenddd???" with a bit of wink. But that could just be in my head. I forget how it came that she was kissing me on the cheek and saying, "I like you happy happy" but it definitely made Aubrey's and my night. We were laughing all the way home.

I recommend Happy BBQ. You will leave with a full belly and a smile on your face. Just be willing to be patient and understanding of cultural differences :)

1 comment:

Natalie and Lily said...

Next time I visit we MUST go! You bring MORE frieeeend!?!?