Wednesday, September 26, 2007

09/25/07

I have had a long night. . . .

NOVA isn't doing so well these days. My bosses and assistant trainers still haven't gotten paid and it has been over a week. The president keeps pushing the date back. As of today it is suppose to be tomorrow but we'll see if that happens. I pray it does. There is talk of NOVA going under within the next month or so but I'm not sure. . .again. . we'll see what happens.

Today at work was really depressing though because of all the talk of people not getting their money and NOVA closing . . etc.

Later I helped a friend move the last of her stuff to her new place. She lives near me so I didn't mind. She walked me back to the train station (which was nice. She lives 15 minutes from the station and then I live another 10). I was walking home thinking how nice it was and how pretty Tokyo was tonight. I was walking home too because I couldn't find my bike key which sucked in the morning becuase it ment I felt rushed and I had to walk 10/12 minutes in in the hot sun. But since I didn't have my bike I offered to help my friend move. I headed home around 12:50 am and was almost home when I saw a man on the side of the road. When I say side of the road I mean. . . he was about two arms lengths away .. maybe less. I thought it was odd that he was laying on teh side of the road becuase if he was homeless he would have been in the park or by the river. Not in the middle of the street. Japanese homeless are different then Americna homeless. Anyways. . . I was walking by when I looked at him and at first it scared me. . .I thought he had a mask on his face. It really scared me but then I saw something shiny. I wondered what it was and I realized that it was blood. . .all over his face, hands, and pooling around his head on the ground!!!! I had NO idea what to do. NO idea. . .I didn't even know how to call 911! I saw a car pulling into a driveway. I ran up to the car and told the man (in my broken Japanese) that there was another man hurt on the road. I don't think he really understood me becuase he kind of just laughed at me and kind of just tried to get me to calm down and go away. I went back to the injured man and then to the guy in the car and finally I told him to just look "mite mite mite". He came and saw the blood and quickly called the police. As he called the police I crouched next to the injured man and started to pray. Pray for this poor old man. . . yeah. . . he was probably in his lat 40's or early 50's. . . around my parents age. My heart went out to him. Soon they came and I thought I had nothing more to do so I started to walk home. A policeman started to chase after me. He needed my information and my phone number so that an English speaking policeman could call me and ask me questions.

As I walked home I called Maiko so I could chat. . I was shaken. I said goodbye once I got home but as I put my stuff down I realized there was more to this then I'd though. I KNEW it was God. I KNEW I was suppose to forget my key and that when I went to look for it I would find it right away. And I did. It was in my gym bag in my shoes that I'd used to run in today. I'd checked there twice this morning before giving up and walking to work. How mysterious the Lord works. I thank the Lord for my lost key becuase I was not only able to help someone but He let me love a stranger too. Something entered my heart as I prayed for that man. . . love for someone I had NO idea who he was. . . but to love just to becuase felt good. I think since I'd moved to Japan. . I'd forgotten what that ment.


"love one another deeply from the heart" 1 Peter 1:22

3 comments:

Chad Cheverier said...

i was almost going to comment without reading "what no photos!" then i read it all.

dang, that is an intense story but that was good of you. I was talking to my friend the other day about NY and she said they did an experiment with a guy pretending to be dead in the subway with makeup and everything and apparantly it took a while for someone to even do something. sad stuff but that was like 10 years ago. that city has gotten better.

and your a good person. good work.

Lisa Goe said...

i found it! thats awesome mel. what a story. almost made me want to film it and keep going. well i want an update on the man! Lets make a story about him:) I don't know what i would have done. probably made gestures rather than speak in broken japanese which would have probably made the man in the car laugh even more.
as the little shrimp in Sharks tale says, "your a good person"

The City Girl said...

woah! that's so gnar! what an amazing experience and so rad to see that you were obedient:)