Thursday, October 29, 2009

Dahlia and Teddy

My parents have been in Texas the past week and half and I've been doggy sitting for them. I really love dogs and my parents' dogs are pretty great. Sam is an old Boxer and Teddy is a middle aged Shitzu. Well, Teddy LOVES me. He's a real lover actually. At night he'll curl up next to my leg or make next between my feet. As I've watched them the more I get to know both the boy's habits and how they communicate. It's funny how Pavlov used a dog to test things like salivating at the ring of a bell. . .when I hear a little paw scratching the door I jump out of bed knowing someone needs out. When a little paw scratches the dish bowl. . .well, someone is hungry. When I hear a wimper at the floor I know Teddy wants up into bed. I'm well trained.

One thing I've come to realize is why Teddy and my niece, Dahlia, are such good friends. BOTH of them LOVE shoes. I come home and one of my shoes is in his doggy bed or I find another up on a couch. He doesn't chew them but he. . . takes them to different places. . .to smell?

Where as Dahlia will adorably point out, "Mel Mel's shoes" or "shooooeeeezzzzz, shoooeeeezzzz!" Teddy can appreciate her love of people's tennis.

No comments: