Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Night Song at Amalfi by Sara Teasdale


Night Song at Amalfi

by Sara Teasdale


I asked the heaven of stars
What I should give my love --
It answered me with silence,
Silence above.

I asked the darkened sea
Down where the fishers go --
It answered me with silence,
Silence below.

Oh, I could give him weeping,
Or I could give him song --
But how can I give silence
My whole life long?



I love Sara Teasdale. . . do you have a poet you love? I know there are many but is there one that you just keep going back to?

1 comment:

Kitti Carriker said...

Two of my favorites
by Sara Teasdale,
Missouri Poet (1884 - 1933)

AT MIDNIGHT
Now at last I have
come to see what life is,

Nothing is ever ended,
everything only begun,

And the brave victories
that seem so splendid

Are never really won.

Even love that I built
my spirit's house for,

Comes like a brooding
and a baffled guest,

And music and men's praise
and even laughter

Are not so good as rest.


THERE WILL BE STARS
There will be stars
over the place forever;

Though the house we loved
and the street we loved are lost,

Every time the earth
circles her orbit

On the night the autumn
equinox is crossed,

Two stars we knew,
poised on the peak of midnight

Will reach their zenith;
stillness will be deep;

There will be stars
over the place forever,

There will be stars
forever; while we sleep.