Friday, March 6, 2009

The evils of Soy

Okay, I swear that everything I love to eat is bad for me! I thought I'd found a healthy food for me that I really liked eating but now I find out Soy is BAD for you. . . it can lead to thyroid issues, cancer, and blocks the actual absorption of the protein. . . and it's just not that good as a replacement for meat. It's not that bad if you eat a bit of it but it shouldn't replace meat. I'm soooo bummed because I eat it everyday. . . and not just tofu I eat soy in general like crazy over here. Soy milk, tofu, natto, etc. It's everywhere and in everything. And the meat here is expensive and not all that good either.

Now I'm on a search for a food I like that is a good protein to eat. I love nuts but they are way high in fat and I would only be able to have a few before my calories would be maxed out. I don't like fish which is sad and I may just bite the bullet and start eating it. What I loved about tofu was that it was fast to cook, low in calorie, and it tasted nice and refreshing.

I wonder too if I did switch to meat if it would be all that much better for me? The beef here isn't all organic, free range, or what not. I'm pretty sure they are all living in some closed pen being sprayed with preservatives and other things that are bad for us.

I like watching what I eat and being a good steward of my body but to be honest I'm kind of wondering where to draw the line. Obviously I'm not going to eat tofu everyday for 2 meals but how far do I take my eating with health? I think I eat pretty well. I eat a long of fruit (at least 3 servings a day) and I eat a bunch of seaweed, I eat muesli for my cereal (it doesn't have any sugars added.) I do eat white rice but there isn't much getting around that here since that is what they eat here. and then I eat a lot of tofu. . but I eat 4-5 times a day in 3 or 4 hour incraments. I eat around 250-350 calories a meal (time). Depending on what I eat for the other times of the day. I don't eat past 6:30pm at night. I drink more then enough water. I do drink coffee at least once a day. But really. . . I could be doing worse. . and I was. And to be honest it's 100 times harder to eat healthy here in Japan then it is in America. In the US they have so many huge grocery stores with all ranges of healthiness available. It is a consumer friendly world in the US. Here I eat what is in season and really I eat what is available.

mmm. . . I'm soooooo bummed Soy isn't good for you. Oh, and if you're feeding your kids soy it's really not good for them. Please go to my friend, Camille's, blog. I have it on my site so you can just click on it. Or you can just google, "truth about soy" and there is a lot of info about it online.

next they'll be telling me apples and bananas are bad for me. I eat apples and bananas everday.

If you can't tell I'm really bummed. Ignorince may be unhealthy but I was happier ;)

2 comments:

Camille said...

Mel- I am so proud of you eating fish! A comment on fat: YOUR BODY NEEDS GOOD FAT!!!! Nuts are good for you and contain omega 3's. determining a meals health by a low-calorie content isnt the best barometer. things like avocados, coconut, nuts, some oils (like olive) oily fish all provide your body with a much needed supply of good fat for proper brain function, etc. Here is just 1 of many articles on it: http://www.huliq.com/64924/truth-about-fat (though i dont agree that flax is bad and canola is good, other way around)I will write a full post about it today. you are on the right track, but i guarantee that it is carbs (especially the refined ones) that are making people fat, not the actual fat! shocking and the mainstream does nothing to reveal the truth to us. ask Doris. she'll back me up!

Mk said...

I will make sure I start eating some good fats. Thanks Camille :)