Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Friendship or Facebook

Photobucket

I have officially quit Facebook and am back to emails, snail mail, and blogging.

Living in Japan I do a lot of snail mailing and enjoy that way of communicating. If you didn't know my best friend, Aubrey, is down in Paraguay with the Peace Core. She and I left around the same time 2 years ago and decided to keep in ouch via journal. My sister in-law, Wendee, had told me her and her best friend have down this for years. I know for Aubrey and I we both love it. We can draw, clip art, and of course write tons in it to eachother.

The strange thing I found was that even though Facebook may be accesable at the click of a finger it doesn't mean you're necessarily keeping in touch. Even if you write to these friends of yours it doesn't mean they will respond and if you have hundreds of friends it's very likely you don't even keep in touch with 50% of them. .. or even 90 percent of them. I found that I kept in better touch with my friends who I snail mailed/ emailed better then 95% of my friends on Facebook.

I like blogging for 1 really big reason. . . people who want to keep in touch with you and keep up to date with your life will come and read your blog. And if they don't. . .they won't. Which is fine and it's life. :) But I do know my family enjoys this so that's a good enough reason for me to keep updating. (Ps. Mom, you can just comment now. I deactivated the need to sign up with Blogger to comment. Anyone can now. So please. . .do :) )

here is the disclamer. . .I'm not against Facebook. For whome it works, GREAT but for me it started to just feel meaningless in a way. And that is just me.
Either way, Facebook good. No Facebook good.

But we should understand that we won't stay in touch with everyone and that's life and it's okay.

No comments: