Sunday, March 8, 2009

Saba/ Mackerel

Since I found that eating soy everyday and using it as a replacement for meat I've decided to re-evaluate my eating habits and have decided to eat soy 2 days, eggs 2 days, fish 2 days, and chicken 1 day or changing that up in different ways. Well, today I bought some Mackerel. Mackerel is "Saba" in Japanese. I like white fish and even though Mackerel can get a bit fishy if it's older I still like it. I've never cooked fish before so I was a bit nervous. When I opened the package of fish my stomach gave a bit of a turn. Ugh. . . raw fish. . . slimy. . yuck.

Photobucket

But I pulled myself togther and reached in and washed off the fish. I bought a little grill thing you put on your burner. Soo. . I started to heat it up and I squeezed lemon onto the fish. I then proceeded to put them on the burner. . but then I realized. . .HOW LONG DO YOU COOK FISH FOR! And. . . when do I know they are cooked through. So I quickly jumped on Skype and called my sister, Brandie, who told me it should only take a minute or two on both sides. I quickly got OFF Skype and went to flip my fish. In the end I got a nice pair of fillet. One was a bit crisp on one side but they both turned out well.

Photobucket

I then washed some spinach and cut up some strawberries and made a nice salad. No dressing needed since the fish's oil came out and mixed with the lemons to make a nice dressing.

Photobucket

May not look pretty but it was and it tasted good too. A bit fishy for me but I do want to eat better so I will just get use to that bit of fishiness. I won't eat Salmon. Even the smell makes me want to gag.


I've started to pack up stuff/ throw stuff out/ get rid of stuff that I don't need anymore. It's sad because I got a good collection of books here and I just can't jusify paying a bunch of shipping costs to send them home when I know it will cost just as much or cheaper to buy them at home at Powells or some used book store. So I will leave a good bunch of books here with my roommate or sell them at a used book store. I am taking a lot back though. But so far I've packed up all my just random stuff like books and trinkets and have only filled 2 small boxes. I need to go through my clothes which will take up a lot of what I'll be taking home but those too I'll have to leave a bunch behind. Sad.

Photobucket

Me procrastinating packing.

No comments: