Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Heavenly Man by Brother Yun with Paul Hattaway

I've heard of this book in California when I was at Brooks. It's called , "The Heavenly Man" about a Chinese Christian man who was raised during the Cultural Revolution in China when Christianity was banned and all books were burned. He came to know Jesus through an healing experience with his father who was dying from cancer was healed from his cancer. Well, the story goes on to follow Brother Yun through his amazing life story of spreading Christ's good news through out a VERY communist China. It tells of the miracles, persecution, and travels of the amazing Christians in China who risked everything for Christ. Many died, lost everything here on earth, families rejected them, etc. but their love for God gave them strength to continue and the Lord blessed them.

Here is a bit that really spoke to me.

"I didn't suffer for Jesus in prison. No! I was with Jesus and I experienced his very real presence, joy, and peace every day. It's not those in prison for the sake of the gospel who suffer. The person who suffers is he who never experiences God's intimate presence." (Pg. 187,188)

I have never experienced such persecution in my life. As an American I was blessed with the freedom of religion but then again I've never experienced the blessings or miracles that Brother Yun had.

In Joyce Meyer's book "Beauty for Ashes" she talks about a completely different topic but it reminds me of Brother Yun. She talks about how we need to live our lives believing God is always with us (because He is).

"Can woman forget her nursing child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yes, they may forget, yet I will not forget you.

Behold, I have indelibly imprinted you on the palm of My hands."

Isaiah 49:14-16

He is always with us and He is lovingly watching us. Joyce talks about how we can either do things to please the world and get our reward here on earth or we can live our lives to bless God (because we love him) and knowing that we will recieve His amazing rewards in His time(maybe here on earth maybe not). She says,

"Do not trade God's reward for people's reward" (p228)


"Instead of their shame my people will reieve a double portion,
and instead of disgrace they will rejoice in their inheritane;
and so they will inherit a double portion in their land,
and everlasting joy will be theirs."


Isaiah 61:7



"Am I now trying to win the approval of men or God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men I wouldn not be a servant of Christ."

Galations 1:10




No comments: